[Gdal-dev] postgis driver

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 13 10:51:15 EDT 2005

On 10/13/05, Bart van den Eijnden <BEN at syncera-itsolutions.nl> wrote:
> After debugging the SQL statements I found out that the geometry type was set to polygon, and the Mapinfo file also contained Multipolygons, so I could solve this by using:

Bart,

It would seem this is in the mapinfo driver.  It ought to return type
GEOMETRY for polygon files that may have multipolygons.  Could you
file a bug report and attach a sample demonstrating the issue?

>D:\ms4w\apps\stragisweb\htdocs\sites\mdwh\data\gebiedsgericht\geo>ogr2ogr
-f "PostgreSQL" PG:"host=127.0.0.1 user=postgres password=stragisweb
dbname=mdwh" basisgebieden_conept4.TAB -lco OVERWRITE=YES -nlt
MULTIPOLYGON

> I have a few questions/remarks about the driver:
>
> 1) schema support is really needed, since now everything ends up in public

Yes, others have also pointed this out.  It is my intention to implement
schema support though I still don't really grok how schemas work.

> 2) would it be a good idea to let the driver create indexes already on the geometry column, oid and the ogc_fid columns and do a vacuum analyze after that? Or are there reasons not to want this?

I think at the very least it would be good to provide a layer creation
option to enable index creation.  I'm not sure if I would always want to
do it.  I would encourage you to file a bug report with this suggestion.