[Gdal-dev] OGR - Character Encodings

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 14 14:33:44 EDT 2005

On 10/14/05, Charlie Savage <cfis at interserv.com> wrote:
> This lead two several points.  First, is the assumed encoding always
> ISO-88519?  In that case, the Postgresql call above is correct.

Charlie,

As you suspect, OGR is completely encoding-ignorant currently.
I would encourage you to commit the change seting the encoding to
LATIN1 for now, as I gather that is a more inclusive character set than
the default UTF8.

> Second, what happens when you want to load maps for Asian countries?  Is
> that a no-go at the moment?

OGR provides no special support for this.  In cases where double
byte text has been encountered it is treated as if it were single byte
which will presumably not work well with Postgres.

> Third, if OGR does support encodings, are they any plans to add this
> functionality?

There are no plans currently to support encoding-awareness in OGR.

/me buries his head in the sand for a couple more years...