[Gdal-dev] JP2MrSID internal overviews problem

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Oct 17 15:34:56 EDT 2005

On 10/17/05, Sheykhet, Rostic <rsheykhet at sanz.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to access JPEG 2000 internal overview data. gdal_info
> reports that there are 12 overviews in the file.  When I try
>
> band = parentBand->GetOverview(nOverview);
> // CPLGetLastErrorMsg() =
> //"MrSIDRasterBand::IRasterIO(): Failed to load image. invalid or empty
> scene speficied [50013]"

Rostic,

Yikes!  It seems that IRasterIO's on the explicit overviews using
the MrSID SDK was completely broken.  I think I likely broke it
circa Sept 15th but I'm not at all sure of that.

In any event, I have committed a fix and also added a test to the
"mrsid" gdalautotest script so such problems will come to light more
quickly in the future.  You can grab the fixed mrsiddataset.cpp at:

  http://www.gdal.org/srctree/frmts/mrsid/mrsiddataset.cpp

> I've looked at the code and it looks like it attempts to determine the
> best overview to use
> whithin the  RasterIO() call.  What are the rules for specifying
> overviews explicitly vs. letting the GDAL handle them?

Normally you can just do a RasterIO() request on the full resolution
layer and GDAL will use the most appropriate overview level as needed.
This aspect should have been working fine and is the normal case.