[Gdal-dev] GDAL Plugin for Open Scene Graph

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 20 20:01:36 EDT 2005

On 10/20/05, Alan Ott <alan at signal11.us> wrote:
> 2. (For the GDAL People) Is the RasterDataType guaranteed to be GDT_Byte
> for Paletted data?

Alan,

No, this is not guaranteed.  There are definately cases where
GDT_Int16 or GDT_UInt16 bands have palettes with more than 256
entries.

> 3. (For the GDAL People) What is the right thing to do if the Color
> Table doesn't have an entry for the color specified (Line 408)?

The color of pixel values not listed in the color tables is undefined.
Often treating them as transparent is appropriate.

> 4. For All Palette Interpretations besides RGB, the code is completely
> untested and came from either WikiPedia or easyrgb.com. The rest of it
> "works on my machine" (with my data), so if anyone could exercise it a
> little more (on their machine, with their data, especially if you have a
> CMYK or HSL paletted file), that would be great.

There are currently not formats I am aware of returning palettes in
any format other than RGB.  It would likely be safest to just not support
any other organization.