[Gdal-dev] Vertical geoidal/ellipsoidal conversion

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 20 20:09:31 EDT 2005

On 10/20/05, Robert Waterman <rwaterman at digitalglobe.com> wrote:

> I need to do some vertical datum conversions.  Given a single X,Y,Z point I
> need to be able to convert Z between ellipsoidal and geoidal heights.  Can
> someone point me in the right direction for doing such conversions?  I am
> working in Python and found the class CoordinateTransformation in osr.py
> under FWTools0.9.8.  If this will do what I want, can someone provide an
> example of how I would actually do this?  Thanks for your time.

Robert,

The OGRCoordinateTransformation stuff attempts to accurately
handle Z changes due to conversion between ellipsoids; however,
it does not currently include any support for geodal issues.  I
haven't yet seriously contemplated incorporating such support
due to my limited understanding of the area and the seemingly
limited interest in such capabilities.