[Gdal-dev] [OGR] Feature relationships

Andy Tompkins atompkins at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 25 11:53:13 EDT 2005

I was surprised when I couldn't find any inherent way to relate
features to each other, and I am wondering if I have just missed
something somewhere.  I would also like to be able to share geometries
(or parts of geometries) with different features, so that when I change
a geometry (or part of a geometry) it is reflected in other geometries.

For example, if my feature, f, is an ORGLineString, I would like to
associate the two endpoints with features that are OGRPoints.  In this
way I would be able to construct a street network and traverse it going
from feature to feature.  I was looking for something like
OGRLineString::StartPoint(OGRFeature *), (note not a OGRPoint as the
parameter), and something like int OGRPoint::numLines(), and
OGRPoint::getLine(OGRFeature*).

Another example are features that are ORGPolygon and I would like to
have polygons that touch be associated to each other.  In this way I
would be able to create a polygon cover and move from polygon to
polygon.

Is this possible?
How might I do this with OGR?

Thanks in advance for any help.