[Gdal-dev] SHP <-> DGN

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Oct 31 10:21:36 EST 2005

Frank Warmerdam napisał(a):
> On 10/31/05, Mateusz Łoskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>What is the state of the OGR regarding conversion between
>>ESRI Shapefile and DGN. Is such conversion possible?
>

> Mateusz,
>
> Yes, you can convert shapefiles to DGN files.  Attributes
> will generally be lost but simple point, linestring and polygon
> geometries should translate well.  I'm not so sure what happens
> to polygons with holes when converted to DGN.

Thanks Frank,

But it seems I'm doing something wrong. I tried to convert file from
dgnsamp.zip dateset downloaded from the dgnlib site
(http://dgnlib.maptools.org/) and here is what I get:

mloskot at dog:~/download/dgn$ ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" samp4.shp samp4.dgn

ERROR 1: Attempt to write non-linestring (POINT) geometry to ARC type
shapefile.ERROR 1: Terminating translation prematurely after failed
translation of layer elements

Am I misusing ogr2ogr?

Cheers

--