[Gdal-dev] Importing VMAP0 into PostGIS database;

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 17:41:18 EDT 2005

On 9/5/05, Martin Spott <Martin.Spott at mgras.net> wrote:
> Now I'm facing different trouble. Importing VMAP0 data into the
> PostGIS-DB with 'ogr2ogr' from GDAL-1.2.6 works excellent - in most
> cases, but in some cases it completely fails. Some chunks of data are
> simply missing.
> I'm quite confused because I evaluated the returncode of 'ogr2ogr'
> after each run and I always got a "0". Apparently the method of
> checking the returncode is not an appropriate measure to verify the
> succes of 'ogr2ogr'. Can anyone suggest an alternative method except
> the one that consist of a visual check of every chunk that got
> transferred by 'ogr2ogr' ?

Martin,

Ogr2ogr does attempt to return non-zero fails in case of failure.
However, it is a bit sloppy about testing for errors and in some
cases forgiving of errors.

Are you getting an error message output?  If not, it may be that
the VRF driver doesn't even realize it is doing something wrong.
Does it fail the same way always for chunks that fail?