[Gdal-dev] gdal_translate with onearth png

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 12:05:21 EDT 2005

On 8/31/05, wsacul <wsacul at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to take elevation data from the onearth server and convert it
> to a geotiff.
>
> Here's a server request:
>
> http://onearth.jpl.nasa.gov/browse.cgi?wms_server=wms.cgi&layers=worldwind_dem&srs=EPSG:4326&width=1000&height=1000&bbox=-120,30,-90,60&format=image/png&styles=feet_short_int&zoom=
>
> I save the image and attempt to process it with gdal_translate:
>
> gdal_translate -of GTIFF -a_ullr -120 15 -90 45 test.png test.tif
>
> (at this point, gdal 1.3.0 on gentoo complains "option -a_ullr
> incomplete, or not recognized", but the same thing in cygwin with
> 1.3.0.0b1 processes the image fine)

Lucasw,

I would suspect that you aren't really using GDAL 1.3.0 on Gentoo
if you get that message.  The -a_ullr option was added well before
1.3.0 release so perhaps you are accidentally picking up an old
version of gdal_translate.

> gdal_translate has worked fine for me with making image geotiffs, but
> now that I want to make an elevation geotiff what do I need to do?  Is
> there a different tool I should be using?

I see the resulting PNG is 16bit and should translate into a 16bit
GeoTIFF just fine.  Without knowing more about how you want to
use it downstream, I think you should be fine.