[Gdal-dev] creating a line shapefile from a point shapefile

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 13:54:58 EDT 2005

On 9/7/05, Bart van den Eijnden <bartvde at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> is it possible to create a line shapefile from a point shapefile using a
> group by clause on one or more attributes?
>
> Does anyone have a script out there?

Bart,

Note that OGR SQL does not support the GROUP BY clause.

For files that aren't too terribly large, this could be implemented in
a python script.  I say not too large, since it will more-or-less end up
holding everything in memory during processing.

How do you intend to decide what order to take the points to
form them into linestrings?  Ordered by order of occurance?