[Gdal-dev] Imagine overviews option

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Sep 16 12:24:25 EDT 2005

On 9/16/05, Chapman, Martin <MChapman at sanz.com> wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Can you add a new method that lets you specify the overview format type
> (like void SetPyramidFormat(int nFormatTypeId); or something)?  That
> would be really handy. :)

Martin,

I gather you are suggesting this be a method on the GDALDataset?
I am pretty hesitant to add new virtual methods on the GDALDataset
unless I think they are really important to the data / access model.

The CPLSetConfigOption() provides a mechanism to control it, but not
in a dataset specific manner.  Were you wanting to be able to request
particular datasets to use one kind of overviews, and particular others
to use a different kind of overviews?

I think I might be better off extending the BuildOverview method to
include an options list.