[Gdal-dev] mingw build

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Sep 16 18:00:36 EDT 2005

On 9/16/05, Pete Nagy <Peter.Nagy at vexcel.com> wrote:

> Thanks Eric, but I do need python.  I'm trying to make some OpenEV
> enhancements, and OpenEV uses gdal with python.
>
> I just found a pyMinGW site
> http://jove.prohosting.com/iwave/ipython/pyMinGW.html
> which says that
>
> "This project is for those who, armed with the fact that Python is itself
> an open source project, have many a time asked that Python support an open
> source compiler on the Windows platform."
>
> I have found myself asking this question about project after project, as
> I try to build things like vtk or openev dependencies using mingw and
> cygwin.  Sigh.
>
> Maybe I'll just make this change in linux and try to persuade Frank that
> it should be added to gdal, and then just use the next windows binary
> (compiled using the preferred(?!) VC)!

Pete,

You can always configure --without-python and then fixup the
GDALmake.opt file manually.  It will require some fiddling though.

I would add that supporting two development environments
(unix-like, and win32) is already a substantial effort.  Asking for
support to build something half way between, where it is hard to
get the unix build environment to work properly (as in this case)
is a stretch.