[Gdal-dev] Re: GetGeometryRef in scripts

Charlie Savage cfis at interserv.com
Wed Sep 21 02:42:57 EDT 2005

> An object must know about its' container, so that when the object is
> really destroyed, the destructor needs to check the container, and
> destroy also it, if it isn't referenced by anybody else.

In OGR an object does not know its container.

> When a container is really destroyed, all the objects that it contains,
> are also destroyed. If an object, which is thus being destroyed, is
> referenced by somebody, then it must clone itself and continue living.

The other way to look at this, and I think a simpler way, is that you
must not use an object once it has been destroyed by its container
(because the container was destroyed).  Thus the discussion centers
around how you keep the container alive.  Is it up to the script writer
(by holding references)?  Or is there something that we can do in the
SWIG interface to help out?   The two possibilities that have been
discussed are reference counting (complex) and having the child
scripting object have a reference to its parent (simple, leverages the
languages garbage collector, but does not work for all languages).

> I don't see it impossible to implement this in the thin C/C++ layer
> between scripts and GDAL. As far as I understand the only important
> missing piece is the link from an object to its container.

There is no such link and thus this would require either an extensive
rewrite of OGR or a whole lot of complicated code in the SWIG binding.
And in the end, I don't see what you gain from it but slower code
because I think there will be edge cases where you can subvert this
layer and get in trouble.  Better to keep things simpler.

 > That's also a rule: an object can be (owned) in only one container.

Already true.

> The variables in the script are always just references to the actual
> objects under the hood. The engine below must take care that the correct
> objects exist. It is difficult because we're just responding to messages
> (like in GUI programming) and do not have complete control.

I actually think the better approach is use the garbage collector of the
scripting language (i.e., how to keep the container alive as discussed
above).  Otherwise we end up with memory managed in 3 places - the
scripting language, the wrapper code, and GDAL/OGR.  Its already hard
enough in 2 places!

Charlie