[Gdal-dev] Maps in PDA

Hallgren Johan E jhhal at wmdata.com
Thu Sep 22 03:57:26 EDT 2005

Hello

I have been working with MapServer for publishing maps on the internet for a while. As an old ESRI fan, that work with Opensource has been a grate experience for me. I'm still stucked into the Microsoft world but beside that everything work fine. Now I'm looking at way to show maps in a PDA (PocketPC/WindowsCE). My first idea was to use MapServer because the wrapper I have used is the csharp/SWIG option and it could also be used to build a Windows app just as I want. The problem is that I don't think it can run on a PocketPC without recompile everything. My next issue was to figure out how difficult it could be to recompile MS and all is parts to the PDA environment, and my answer was that it's difficult. Beside that I don't know if the MapServer solution for displaying maps in a PDA is optimal, I think the aim with MapServer was to create maps on the internet and not running as a single desktop app.

Next I found the work Mateusz Łoskot is doing to porting GDAL to the Windows CE environment, that's great. Could GDAL be the solution for me? It raises some new questions:

*         It's not my dream to build logic for symbology and classification. Is there any support for symbology and classification in GDAL?

*         Are there other options for my PDA issue I havent't found yet?

*         Is it possible to compile MapServer for Windows CE?

Any ideas/answers are welcome

Regards

Johan

Johan Hallgren

WM-data

Pelle Bergs backe 3

Box 1938, 791 19 Falun

Tel: 023-844 65 (int: +46-2384465)

Mobil: 070-588 44 28 (int: +46-705884428)

johan.e.hallgren at wmdata.com <BLOCKED::mailto:johan.e.hallgren at wmdata.com>

http://www.wmdata.se <BLOCKED::/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.wmdata.se/>