[Gdal-dev] Status of GDAL in Fedora Extras?

Rick Niles fniles at mitre.org
Mon Sep 26 19:51:39 EDT 2005

Now that Red Hat has really pushed a lot of stuff in to Extras (e.g.
octave) and people have gotten serious about doing Extras packages. I
really think GDAL should be in there.  All the traffic on the mailing
lists says there's some dependency conflict between GRASS and GDAL and
then they just gave up.

Can I motivate anyone with the ability and the authority to actually do
something about this to spend a little time solving this silly issue?  I
really think GDAL would benefit from having an easy install for Fedora
users.

Also, I see that the current Fedora Core 4 RPMs depend on installing an
old version of Postgres.  What's the deal there?  Can that be fixed?

Of course, maybe I'm way off and a solution is gonna happen "Real Soon
Now".  Or perhaps, this is a sensitive subject and I've just opened up a
can o' worms.

Anyone here know the status of such things?

Thanks,
Rick Niles.