[Gdal-dev] Save a map from a OGRDataSource

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Sep 27 11:53:51 EDT 2005

On 9/27/05, Josepo Urrutia <find_all at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I want to program a topographical map editor using the GDAL/ORG library, I
> create a OGRDataSource with the ORGLayers and OGRFeatures that represent the
> map.
>
> The problem is that I haven't been able to found a way to save this
> OGRDataSource into a topographical map on disk.
>
> Which is the proper way to save a map with GDAL/OGR ?

Josepo,

I'm afraid you will need to tell my a bit about what you mean by saving
into "a topological map on disk".   At first I thought you meant a raster
rendering of the data but that wouldn't be very topological.

I would note that:
 o OGR (and GDAL) does not including rendering vector to raster
    capability.  In general you would need to use something built on top
    of OGR for this.  Something like Mapserver for instance.

 o OGR does not "understand" topology.  In some case topology
    relationships are preserved in attributes (such as for the Arc/info
    Binary Coverage driver) but that doesn't mean that OGR understands
    or can take particular advantage of it.