[Gdal-dev] GML support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Sep 30 10:12:44 EDT 2005

On 9/30/05, Clay, Bruce <bclay at ball.com> wrote:

> While working on a task to convert ESRI shape files to ASCII then back to
> binary I noticed there is support in GDAL for converting the geometry to
> GML.  I did not see anything to convert the feature data to GML did I miss
> something or is it not available yet?
>

> I am currently working with version 1.20.  I know there are later versions
> but I use several different packages and had stop upgrading every time a new
> release came out for code stability reasons.
>
> Is there more GML support in the current version?
>
> Has anyone written a shape to GML and GML to shape application yet?

Bruce,

If appropriate built (Xerces is required for GML reading) you can use
ogr2ogr to convert to and from GML format.  There is no "single feature"
translator capability available in the OGR API in the same sense that it
supports GML geometries currently.

There have been substantial advances in GML support since 1.2.0;
however, you could like do preliminary testing with that.   But don't
start reporting problems unless you upgrade. :-)

I would add that the OGR GML support is somewhat half-assed.  It
would not get the Ron-Lake-Schema-Aware-Award-Of-Excellence,
thats for sure.