[Gdal-dev] CVS

Howard Butler hobu at iastate.edu
Thu Apr 6 10:10:31 EDT 2006

Some reasons for keeping them in CVS:

1)  GDAL has history of keeping generated code in the CVS tree.  The
old-style Python wrappers, which are generated from swig 1.1, pretty
much *have* to be pushed into the tree because Frank is the only
person I know of with swig 1.1 installed anywhere.

2) SWIG is in severe flux right now.  1.3.28 was a *major* release,
complete with incompatibilities, bugs, and API changes.  The distros
all vary in the swig that they provide, and this can have a great
impact on what people see when they generate bindings themselves.
1.3.29 came quickly (and still has some broken Python things).

3) Windows

Some reasons for dropping them from CVS:

On the flip side, I agree that having the generated bindings in CVS
is a pain.  They almost always seem to generate CVS conflicts and
sync'ing between the various flavors is not always consistent.  I
almost always generate my own bindings with the swig I have installed
when doing any development.  I agree that a 'make dist' target should
be generating *all* of the bindings for each language flavor anyway,
regardless of whether or not we keep the bindings actually stored in
CVS.

Howard