[Gdal-dev] RE: need RTTI for OGR (Windows)

Chapman, Martin MChapman at sanz.com
Tue Apr 11 13:14:29 EDT 2006

Ellen,

I just found this.  You're correct, it doesn't work with the change I
suggested but it should have.

// FOUND ON THE WEB FOR ANOTHER PROJECT

Important Warning: Please note that the MSVC.Net 2003 (7.1) C++ compiler
has a bug that returns a wrong 'this' pointer when calling virtual
functions of a virtual base class from a constructor, especially in
calls to dynamic_cast. This unfortunately affects gtkmm on win32. As a
result, some gtkmm programs, built on win32 using the MSVC.Net 2003
compiler, might crash with a "Access violation - no RTTI data!" message.
The gtkmm and MSVC developers are aware of this bug, which should/will
hopefully be fixed in Visual Studio 2005 beta 2. For more details see
this bugzilla entry and references therein.

You will just have to use a C style cast like:

OGRGeometry *poGeometry ....  // not null
switch (poGeometry->getGeometryType())
{
     case wkbPolygon:
         MyFunc( (OGRPolygon*)poGeometry);