[Gdal-dev] $ to apply CorMat to vector data

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Wed Apr 19 16:39:44 EDT 2006

Dear GDAL/OGR Developers,

I'm soliciting time & price estimates to develop a program to apply the
NTDB Correction Matrices (CORMAT) to our vector data.

CORMAT is a product derived from the planimetric enhancement of NTDB
data sets at the 1:50 000 scale. The correction matrices enable users to
enhance the geometric accuracy of the less accurate NTDB.

Each matrix consists of a set of points arrayed on a regular 100-metre
grid. Each point describes the planimetric correction (DX, DY) to be
applied at this location. The position of the points is given in UTM
(Universal Transverse Mercator) coordinates based on the North American
Datum of 1983 (NAD83). Each file constitutes a rectangular area covering
the entire corresponding NTDB data set. Its delimitation corresponds
more or less to National Topographic System (NTS) divisions at the 1:50
000 scale.

For detailed specification and sample implementation algorithm see
http://tinyurl.com/avupo (goes to
http://www.cits.rncan.gc.ca/cit/servlet/CIT/site_id=01&page_id=1-005-002-010.html)

I asked Frank Warmerdam about developing a CorMat program. He has too
many irons in the fire to do it himself but is confident gdal/ogr can do
it, and that it would be *really* handy if the cormat data was in the
same format as NTv2 datum shift info.

Basically what I want is a program I can shove a shapefile (or coverage,
geodatabase, etc.) at and have it spit back out a corrected one. It
needs to be script friendly -- I have over 9 thousand files to throw at
it and I'd prefer if it ran on windows.

Also see http://yukongis.ca/bin/view/Main/CorMat

--
matt wilkie