FW: [Gdal-dev] OGR Georeference

Rob McCulley RMcCulley at county24.com
Fri Apr 21 17:02:38 EDT 2006

>On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 05:58:01PM -0700, Matthew Perry wrote:
>> On 4/19/06, Rob McCulley <RMcCulley at county24.com> wrote:
>> > I finally managed to talk to the data provider.  It is a "local" coordinate system per file.  It >looks like I need to warp each file.  Any way to do this using ogr?
>>
>> Another possibility, if you have a layer in the "proper" coordinate
>> system to which you could match ground control points, is to use the
>> Warping tool in OpenJump ( http://openjump.org/ ). It allows you to
>> graphically create warping vectors between control points and apply an
>> affine transformation.
>
>Just for the record:
>The same thing you can do with GRASS - see
>http://grass.itc.it/grass61/manuals/html61_user/projectionintro.html
>-> v.transform
>
>Markus

Thanks guys!  GRASS was the ticket.  Each of my microstation files have four points in them with a unique level & type, so I was able to write a python script that opened each file, grabbed those four points, grabbed the corresponding points from a UTM12 township file, and output a pointsfile to use with v.transform.  I took it one step further, and had the script also output three new python scripts: One to import all of the shapefiles into GRASS using v.in.ogr, a second to run the v.transform on each file, and a third to export the files from GRASS to shapefiles using v.out.ogr.

It worked beautifully, and easily saved a me a few days work in manually warping all of the files.
Thank You,
Rob