[Gdal-dev] GDAL 1.3.2 Beta 2 Released

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Apr 26 12:35:32 EDT 2006

I didn't try 1.3.2b1, but b2 has a linking problem on Mac OS X.
Somehow an extra 'ar x' step is added for linking in static libraries
(ie libmysqlclient.a).  And ar apparently doesn't like a fat
(universal) static library.

I poked around in libtool, and it seems to have something to do with
the convenience libs and whole_archive_flag_spec -
whole_archive_flag_spec is not set now, in 1.3.1 it's "-all_load \
$convenience" for darwin.  Without whole_archive_flag_spec, static
libs go thru the 'ar x' thing.

After setting (hacking) whole_archive_flag_spec="-all_load \
$convenience" (in the CXX tag section) in libtool, it works again.

The new way would probably work with the default mysql binaries for
Mac OS X - they're single-architecture static libs.

On Apr 25, 2006, at 9:14 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Folks,
>
> A few significant issues were encountered in the GDAL 1.3.2 beta1, so
> I have prepared a beta2 and placed it at:
>
>   http://www.gdal.org/dl/gdal-1.3.2b2.tar.gz
>   http://www.gdal.org/dl/gdal132b2.zip
>
> One significant change relates to an updating of the libtool
> infrastructure.
> Hopefully this will help but I would appreciate wide operating system
> tests of it.
>
> If all goes well, I will issue a GDAL 1.3.2 final later this week.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro