[Gdal-dev] GML to database

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 26 23:31:05 EDT 2006

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> there seems to be a growing need for tools which can read GML 3
> application schemas and the corresponding GML files, and roll that into
> a database (so create the tables, and the relationships between the
> tables, fill them etc.).
>
> Does ogr2ogr see a role for itself in this domain?

Bart,

Ogr2ogr takes a "simple features" view of the world.  I would like to see
OGR's GML support, including support for application schemas, improve.  But
realistically there is quite a leap beyond that to understanding complex
application schemas, relationships between tables and so forth.  I am
doubtful that OGR will get there in the forseeable future.

I would add that OGR doesn't generally understand inter-table relationships
in RDBMSes either, nor provide a means to set them up.

I wonder what the quality of FDO's GML support is (if any!) and if it
might address this need better.  Certainly FDO seems to aspire to a
more database oriented view of feature data than OGR does.