[Gdal-dev] Building on Windows

Norman Barker nbarker at ittvis.com
Tue Aug 1 04:04:12 EDT 2006

________________________________

From: gdal-dev-bounces at lists.maptools.org
[mailto:gdal-dev-bounces at lists.maptools.org] On Behalf Of Matt Hanson
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 8:54 PM
To: gdal-dev at lists.maptools.org
Subject: [Gdal-dev] Building on Windows

Hi,

I'm trying to compile GDAL using the provided makefile.vc files, and I
get the same error right at the beginning.  In doing some google
searches I found some posts in the GDAL archive from some chap that had
the same problem a couple years ago....that chap turned out to be me!
However, back then I did resolve the issue somehow, but it wasn't
resolved with any list help so there's no record of what I did.    This
is a different computer, and the newest version of Visual Studio so the
fact that I'm the only one to ever have this problem I find rather
surprising.   Anyway any suggestions to help me remember what I did?

Much thanks!  Here's the error:

$ nmake -f makefile.vc

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42

        cd port
        nmake /nologo /f makefile.vc
        cl /nologo /MD /EHsc /Zi /Fd..\gdal.pdb -I..\port -I..\ogr
-I..\gcore  -I..\alg  /c cpl_conv.cpp
cpl_conv.cpp
cpl_conv.cpp(1313) : error C3861: 'snprintf': identifier not found
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\VC\BIN\cl.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\VC\BIN\nmake.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Theres is a thread on snprintf  problems here -
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.vc.language/browse_thr
ead/thread/32d833e0d1d517af/6021c0870b230253%236021c0870b230253

And in port/cpl_config.h  there are already

#define vsnprintf _vsnprintf

#define snprintf _snprintf

I have just compiled GDAL with MSVC 8, you need to install the windows
SDK as well if you are using the free version.

Norman