[Gdal-dev] Does OGR support reading Mapinfo Workspace

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Aug 2 10:05:25 EDT 2006

taka_www at sinaman.com wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I wonder if I can use MapInfo workspace and tab file in MapServer, so that
> I can share my work with other people.
>
> Since the map data collection and thematic mapping will first be prepared
> through MapInfo (due to source data already in MapInfo), I wonder if there
> is any tool that can help to esaily convert the workspace to MapServer map
> file, and allow me to publish the map content to other readers through
> MapServer.
>
> Hope someone can give me some hints to go on.

Taka,

GDAL/OGR has no support for mapinfo workspaces, as far as I know.  I
assume a mapinfo workspace is some sort of project file?

You might want to ask on the mapserver-users list if anyone knows of
a utility to produce mapfiles from workspaces.

MapServer (via OGR) will support "auto styling" from tab files, preserving
some of the styling information (line color, etc) from the tab file -
assuming you are referring to feature tab files, not raster tab files.