[Gdal-dev] gdal - open fails on zero length files

Allan Doyle adoyle at eogeo.org
Tue Aug 8 08:39:13 EDT 2006

I'm writing a crawler to examine all the files in a given tree. To do
that I'm using the python bindings for gdal/ogr.

When I call gdal.Open() on a zero length file, I get the dreaded

   posixio.c:396: failed assertion `extent != 0'

message. Poking around, I found this message in the archives about it:

http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2006-May/008731.html

So I don't know if the two are related but I've solved my problem by
checking for zero length files before calling gdal.Open().

I'm using KyngChaos Gislibs 3.0 on Mac OS X 10.4.7 PPC

	Allan

--
Allan Doyle
+1.781.433.2695