[Gdal-dev] Coordinate Transformations

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Aug 23 06:00:25 EDT 2006

Vande Bruggen, Pieter - Accent wrote:
> I’m currently working on a system that needs to be able to receive
> coordinate measurements from a variety of different GPS systems and
> convert them back and forth between whatever format they were input in
> and the coordinate system used by Virtual Earth (Mercator projection,
> Lat/Lon).  Can anyone speak to the suitability of GDAL (or another tool)
> for this task?

If you only need to do coordinates transformation, then
you can use PROJ.4 library - http://proj.maptools.org

GDAL/OGR offers some additional features to operate on
raster and vector datasets, like IO operations, vector geometry model,
etc. So, if you don't need these additional features, I suppose you
don't, but only coords transformation then PROJ.4 will suffice.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net