[Gdal-dev] GDAL and Solaris 10/sparc

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Thu Aug 24 17:40:21 EDT 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Shaun Kolomeitz wrote:

> > My original aim was to get GDAL with ECW compiled and going, but
> > for now I'd even settle for just Geotiff, HFA and JPEG.

> I don't think there should be any great difficulty in building on Solaris
> as long as reasonably functional tool chain is available.

I _did_ build GDAL on Solaris, although I took Solaris8 to build for
Solaris10, as I already moved to SunStudio on Solaris10 (still having
Solaris8/GCC on another machine) which got me into severe trouble.
Solaris10 has sone unusual places for the toolchain, like /usr/sfw/,
you might have to add these places during 'configure'.

My primary goal was to stuff Shapefiles anv VMap0/1 data into a PostGIS
database, so I removed some unneeded stuff like SWIG bindings:

GDAL is now configured for sparc-sun-solaris2.8

  Installation directory:    /opt/GRASS
  C compiler:                gcc -mcpu=ultrasparc -mtune=ultrasparc -O3
  C++ compiler:              g++ -mcpu=ultrasparc -mtune=ultrasparc -O3

  LIBTOOL support:           yes

  LIBZ support:              external
  GRASS support:             no
  CFITSIO support:           no