[Gdal-dev] RFC 9: ATL Based COM Interface

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Dec 4 12:03:35 EST 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> ivan at ilucena.net wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> This message is about a RFC proposal that I have prepared and placed at
>> http://www.gdal.org/rfc9_com.html.
>
> Ivan,
>
> Some things I think that should be clarified in the RFC:

Ivan, Frank,

I hope you don't mind I'll join this discussion and share some comments:

>  3) What build environments will be supported? Only visual studio?  If so,
>     what versions?

ATL is usable only with Visual C++ compiler.
It is not possible to build ATL-based stuff with GCC (MinGW) or any
other compilers.

> My understanding is that the C# bindings are accessable from any .net
> language.

I believe so too.

> So it seems that the COM interfaces will mainly be of interest to Delphi
> developers - is that right?

There is also possible target client in Web components like ActiveX
controls for Web. Also Visual Basic 6 could use it.
Certainly, .NET and native C/C++ coders can be COM clients as well.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net