[Gdal-dev] 12 bit Jp2k image questions.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Dec 7 13:16:11 EST 2006

Daniele Romagnoli wrote:
> Hi,
> out of curiosity, I'm trying to build GDAL with Kakadu support for JP2K.
>
> I have downloaded the Kakadu windows library but when I build GDAL this
> error occurs:

> D:\gdal\frmts>cd jp2kak   && nmake /NOLOGO /f makefile.vc
> <http://makefile.vc>   && cd ..
>         cl /nologo /MD /EHsc /Zi /Fd..\..\gdal.pdb -I..\..\port
> -I..\..\ogr -I..
> \..\gcore  -I..\..\alg -ID:\WORK\kakadu /DKDU_PENTIUM_MSVC /GX /c
> jp2kakdataset.
> cpp
> jp2kakdataset.cpp
> jp2kakdataset.cpp(119) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file:
> 'jp2_local
> .h': Invalid argument
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2'
> Stop.
>

> Where can I find jp2_local.h in order to build GDAL?

Daniele,

It is within the Kakadu source tree.  The problem with windows builds
that include Kakadu is that when I build Kakadu on windows, I actually
extract all the files I need out into a single directory and build them
with my own scripts rather than use the normal Kakadu build mechanism.
This lets me assemble the various files I need, including a bunch from
the kakadu apps subtree.  The downside it is essentially a process of
experimentation for other developers to figure out how this can be done.

I'd distribute a "collected and ready to build" version of the Kakadu
stuff for folk - except of course it isn't free software so I'm not
allowed to redistribute Kakadu source.  Generally speaking my assumption
has been that there are few folks who will want to build the Kakadu so
it isn't worth spending a lot of time streamlining the build process.