[Gdal-dev] Creating files, File I/O, and VRT

Matt Hanson mhanson at photon.com
Thu Dec 14 16:53:41 EST 2006

I'm wondering about what the expected behavior is when Creating files and when the files are actually written from memory to disk.   I've encountered some strangeness in a file not existing when I think it should.

First, when writing other file formats the file on disk gets created right away, even before I've written any data to it.

With VRT files they don't seem to get written to disk right away.   Do I have to
delete dataset;

in order for it to actually get written ?   It seems like it but I wanted to know what the behavior is supposed to be for regular files as well as VRT files.

matt