[Gdal-dev] warping a file from state plane to GD using gdal 1.3.2

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Dec 17 23:58:30 EST 2006

Derrick Hoffman wrote:
> All:
>
> I have a geo Tiff that is in state plane and I want to warp it to
> geodetic.  When I perform a GDAL info on the source file, the datum is
> unknown.  I can sue the same file with FW Tools and the datum does come
> across and the file can be warped.  Is there any reason why the base
> gdal cannot read this information from the file?

Derrick,

When reading and expanding coordinate system definitions from GeoTIFF
files it is sometimes necessary to have access to various supporting
files with EPSG definitions.  On Linux these would normally be installed
and found in /usr/local/share/gdal but on windows or unusual unix installs
they may not be found by default.  This can be corrected by setting the
GDAL_DATA environment variable to point to the directory where they reside.
Within the build tree they are found in gdal/data.