[Gdal-dev] Re: Gdal under wince?

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Feb 21 15:32:01 EST 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Jorge García Naz wrote:
>
>> Hello Mr Warmerdam, I am interested to develop WinCE applications
>> using GDAL. Is GDAL supported under WinCE? If not, do you know any
>> way to allow me to port GDAL to this platform.
>

> Jorge,
>
> Mateusz Loskot is currently working on a wince port of parts of GDAL
> and OGR (primarily aimed at a few OGR formats).  He should be making
> an announcement about this work on gdal-dev in the next day or so.
> You might want to contact him directly for some details.

Yes, I'm working on it.
Short story is:
- I managed to buld OGR with drivers: generic, mitab, shape
- I have compiled and run OGR tutorial sample from the GDAL website,
so I can read/write geometries and attributes

Today, I'm preparing longer story about Windows CE port so all
interested users will be able to build/use/contribute to it too.
Tonight (I'm in GMT+1), I'll finish building instructions and I'll list
current state of work + what is on the TODO list.
So, I'd like to ask you for a few hours of patience more :-)

> So the short answer is, some porting work has been done but for GDAL
> it is not "out of the box" yet.

That's right.

> Also, you should be aware that GDAL-as-a-whole is likely to be pretty
> heavy for a wince platform so you may need to be selective about what
> you actually build in.

Yup, Frank is right here too.

Cheers
--