[Gdal-dev] GCPs to geo transform

Antoine Hue tonio_73 at tiscali.fr
Sat Feb 25 07:56:49 EST 2006

Le 23 févr. 06, à 22:16, Frank Warmerdam a écrit :

> Antoine Hue wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I was wondering if it is possible to compute the geo transform given
>> a set of GCPs without warping the image?
>> That's what is being done in the osgTerrain  library I am using, it
>> is warping the image to a geotiff as soon as there are GCPs without
>> checking if the source and destination CS are the same.
>> Thanks a lot for the GDAL, it is doing a lot for me.
>
> Antoine,
>
> Perhaps the GDALGCPsToGeoTransform() function would be of some use to
> you.
> It computes an approximate geotransform from a set of GCPs.

Hello Frank,

Thanks for the answer. That is what I am looking for, I will try it as
soon as possible .
What do you mean by approximate? Is it less precise than a warp?
Would a warp get better result because of the resampling and filters?

Talking warp, when an image is warped with CS transformation, it is
likely to be rotated and non rectangular anymore.
Is there a way to access only the data bearing pixels of the warped
image?
In fact, if several warped images are shown together without caring
about the no data part of the image, a black portion will appear and
overlap with actual data.

Thanks,

Antoine