[Gdal-dev] gdal_translate Question

Matthew Perry perrygeo at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 14:16:20 EST 2006

Paul,

On 12/31/05, Paul Parisi <ppp5150 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a new user and am running into a problem with the gdal_translate
> utility. I'm trying to crop a Landsat GTIFF image to fit a smaller SRTM
> elevation map. The documentation does not say what format the "ulx"
> coordinates must be, so I tried the following:
>
> gdal_translate -of GTiff -projwin -116.000168 38.000331 -114.999256
> 36.999143 Groom_1.tif Groom_1_Crop.tif

  The "ulx" and "uly" are the upper left coordinates and the "lrx" and
"lry" are the lower right. It looks like your coordinates are in the
proper order.

  Looks like you're using longitudes and latitudes for your cropping
window. Can you confirm that the original tiff is in the same
coordinate system? Try the gdalinfo command to see if the extent
values are reasonable and if the tiff has any projection information.
If it's not lat/long, you could first use gdalwarp to reproject it.

--
Matt Perry
perrygeo at gmail.com
http://www.perrygeo.net