[Gdal-dev] ogr2ogr Point not Point ZM

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Jan 5 15:17:04 EST 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> On 1/5/06, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
>
>>When I do:
>>ogr2ogr -update -append two.shp one -nln two one -nlt POINT
>>
>>The appended file, which has no points to begin with(but is basically
>>the same as the original with a couple of extra fields and the points
>>removed) ends up with geometry of type POINT ZM(3D). I need it to simply
>>be POINT(2D), no z or m values. ArcGIS software handles POINT and POINT
>>ZM very  differently so they are two distinctly different options.
>>
>>I thought I had solved it by adding the -nlt POINT portion but it turns
>>out that didn't have any effect.
>

> Alex,
>
> If two.shp already exists, then whether it is POINT or POINTZM is
> already established.  How are you creating it?
>
> Best regards,
> --
I made two.shp by taking one.shp opening it in ArcMap, removing the
points, adding fields and then saving the changes.

If I check the properties on two.shp & one.shp in ArcCatalog before I do
the append, under GEOMETRY it says
GEOMETRY Type Point
Contains Z values No
Contains M values No

After the append, two.shp says
GEOMETRY Type Point
Contains Z values Yes
Contains M values Yes

It wouldn't surprise me if there is some ESRI monkey business in the
background that I don't know about when I go to look at the file in Arc
after the append.

Alex

Sorry if this posts twice - wierd email glitch.