[Gdal-dev] GDAL, JPIP and OpenEV

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jan 11 13:06:03 EST 2006

On 1/11/06, Norman Barker <nbarker at rsinc.com> wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> thanks for the advice, that is very helpful regarding the URL connectivity with GDAL.
>
> I was thinking of time based display in the first instance, but that is a little different to progressive display which
> builds on the existing data, I am going to have to think about it!  A JPIP client that is open source would be useful.  I would quite like to do this with OpenEV if possible, the high level language makes this appealing. Do you have any advice?

Norman,

Well, I would encourage first trying to get the jpip support
working in GDAL.  If you can't even gdal_translate reliably
from a jpip source then there is no point worrying about
OpenEV.

Also, the only library I know that supports jpip is Kakadu
and that isn't open source.   So it isn't really a full open
source stack.

If you get to the point of trying to do the progressive
display in OpenEV, let me know and I will make a few
suggestions.