[Gdal-dev] Updated Ruby SWIG Bindings

Charlie Savage cfis at interserv.com
Sat Jan 14 16:53:53 EST 2006

For anyone interested, I have checked in a fairly significant update to
the Ruby bindings.  Change include:

* Fixed GNU makefiles so they should actually work

* Integrated GNU makefiles more closely with the top-level GDAL
makefiles (grab a lot more information from them)

* Fixed some bugs in the gdal typemaps that prevented the wrappers from
compiling

* A number of typemap changes for Ruby to bring it more inline with the
Python typemaps

* New test suite for OSR to verify everything is working as it should.
Its in the gdalautotest for anyone who is looking for examples of using
Ruby with GDAL.

So the summary is the Ruby bindings for OGR and OSR are complete and in
good shape.  On the other hand, I'd imagine the GDAL Ruby bindings do
not work since I've never tested them or used them.  I don't have any
immediate plans to look at GDAL bindings, so if someone wants to step in
I'd be happy to guide the way.

One last caveat - the updated SWIG bindings are built with the upcoming
SWIG 1.3.28 release, so to recreate them either use 1.3.28 HEAD or wait
until it is released (not sure when that is but I don't think its too
far in the future).  It would be plausible to backport the typemaps to
1.3.27 but I don't really see that its worth the effort.

Thanks,

Charlie