[Gdal-dev] Frustration with MrSID and ECW

dion at west.nl dion at west.nl
Mon Jan 16 08:44:19 EST 2006

Hello Bill,

> I am tearing my hair out right now, trying to get GDAL to do the
> impossible: handle both ECW and MrSID in one GDAL installation (on Linux).

We are having our own set of problems with MrSID, but I think we managed
to at least build a GDAL with r/w support for both. (Once we're sure our
MrSID is working correctly I will provide some feedback on the list).

> At this point, I have been unable to get MrSID's latest SDK to build with
> CVS HEAD with GCC 3.4.1 (regardless of ECW).  I have done this in the
> past, and probably can again, but I'd really like some help from the two
> vendors on this.

Were you able to do so under gcc 3.2? We are using 3.2.3, and building
gdal-cvs-2006.01.04, MrSID ESDK-5.0.6.955.

> Anyway, I realize this is a bit of a whine, and I'm sorry about that, but
> I now have a real need for this, and it has been a long wait for a
> solution.  If there are others out there who are willing and able to help,
> I suppose it doesn't have to be ERMapper and LizardTech who help with
> this: drop me a note, and we'll have at it.

I know things can get frustrating :) Where do the problems occur during
building? Could you show some relevant output of what error(s) you get?

Regards,
Dion.