[Gdal-dev] Oracle, v.external and FID

Stephan Holl holl at gdf-hannover.de
Wed Jan 18 07:34:51 EST 2006

Dear developers,

since I do not know if it is a GRASS or GDAL/OGR problem, I crosspost
this email. Sorry for any inconvenience.

We are using the OCI-bindings to connect to
oracle-spatial. This works so far with ogr2ogr.

NOw we try to use GRASS with its module v.external. Since OGR does not
have a generic method to determine the OGC_FID-column, the GRASS-lib
does a test with different column-names (which is far from optimal).

The 3rd column-name matches the dataset, so the FID-column can be
used. But, after that a strange error appears.

Command:
v.external dsn=OCI:user/pw at oracle.host.com layer=TEST.Testdata
out=TESTDATA1

The error is:
Invalid layer name, no underscore found: TESTDATA1

I am wondering whether this error comes from OGR, GRASS or even Oracle
(which I don`t think).

Has anybody come accross this error?

Thanks for any pointers.

	Stephan

--
GDF Hannover - Solutions for spatial data analysis and remote sensing
Hannover Office      -     Mengendamm 16d      -     D-30177 Hannover
Internet: www.gdf-hannover.de      -      Email: holl at gdf-hannover.de
Phone : ++49-(0)511.39088507       -        Fax: ++49-(0)511.39088508