[Gdal-dev] Problems translating BSB files

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Wed Jan 18 12:51:34 EST 2006

Folks -

I have downloaded a few sample BSB files from the NOAA RNC distribution
site, and I'm trying to use gdal_translate to convert these to GeoTIFFs.
In each case (I've tried five) I get a "Failed to find compressed data
segment of BSB file" error message from GDAL.  I'm using a fresh build
of gdal-1.3.1, and the FWTools-1.0.0a7 versions of gdal_translate and
OpenEV, all with the same results.

I have also used the "NOAA Chart Reprojector" utility to reproject and
convert these input images to TIFF, so I'm confident that the source
data is not corrupted.

These are current BSB files (about which I know rather little).  I'd
appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this problem or how I might
best investigate it further.  Thanks!

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker