[Gdal-dev] OGR DGN driver: errors within visualization

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jan 20 13:11:39 EST 2006

On 1/20/06, Paul, Michael <michael.paul at tao.es> wrote:
> we are using the OGR DGN  driver to visualize directly DGN (v7) files. The problem is that this driver  seems to apply some kind of generalization. If use the ogr2ogr utility in order  to convert the DGN file e.g. to a PostGIS database, everything works fine. This  means that the cartography loaded by the PostGIS OGR driver looks pretty much  the same as the original in Microstation. But if we load the data directly from  the DGN driver, the result looks horrible. If ogr2ogr manages to load all the  data correctly, we should to be able to do the same thing. Can anyone tell us,  whether or not there exist some kind of configuration flag to deactivate these  generalization stuff?
>
> Thanks.
> PS: all the geometries  shown are polylines, no cells, no arcs.

Michael,

I'm afraid I have no idea why you would get different results
reading the features directly from the DGN file as opposed
to translating them to another format ogr2ogr and then reading
them.

Are you using GetNextFeature() to iterate through the features?
Or accessing them (potentially) out of order with GetFeature()?