[Gdal-dev] updates of deflate compressed tiff still broken?

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.nl
Mon Jan 30 05:39:32 EST 2006

Frank et al.,

I'm trying to generate overviews for a compressed (deflate) tiff, which
doesn't work. I remember updating compressed tiff files being broken,
either in gdal or in libtiff or both, but has this since never been fixed?

details:

gentoo amd64 linux system, using gdal from cvs (yesterday, clean build),
gdal's internal libtiff and libgeotiff (checked with ld
/usr/local/bin/gdal_translate, which doesn't show any reference to
libtiff), and I've tried both to add oveviews to an existing file, as to
create a new .ovr file by running gdaladdo on a .vrt file. However, in
any case this error is the result:

gdaladdo -r average --config COMPRESS_OVERVIEW DEFLATE srtm_NW.tif 2 4 8
16 32 64 128 256 512 1024
0ERROR 1: ZIPDecode:srtm_NW.tif: Decoding error at scanline 0, incorrect
header check
ERROR 1: TIFFReadEncodedTile() failed.

ERROR 1: IReadBlock failed at X offset 0, Y offset 0
ERROR 1: GetBlockRef failed at X block offset 0, Y block offset 0
ERROR 1: ZIPDecode:srtm_NW.tif: Decoding error at scanline 0, incorrect
header check
ERROR 1: TIFFReadEncodedTile() failed.

ERROR 1: IReadBlock failed at X offset 0, Y offset 0
ERROR 1: GetBlockRef failed at X block offset 0, Y block offset 0
ERROR 1: ZIPDecode:srtm_NW.tif: Decoding error at scanline 0, incorrect
header check
ERROR 1: TIFFReadEncodedTile() failed.

... <going on for some more errors of the same kind>...

btw. the tif file is quite large, 2.3 Gb (compressed). I do get the same
kind of error however also on a smaller file.

Regards,
Vincent.

BTW I tried to send this message to the list through gmane which I
usually use to read my lists, but it failed because that still seems to
point to gdal-dev at remotesensing.org instead of
gdal-dev at lists.maptools.org. Don't know if and who could change that at
gmane, but thought I'd let you know...