[Gdal-dev] Can we read the NALPS NDF Data format to extract the Pixel data

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jan 30 11:04:53 EST 2006

On 1/27/06, Vijay Akkineni <akkineni.vijay at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
>                 I am a computer science student at Texas tech University ..
> I am new to Gdal ..can we use gdal to read the NDF Data Format Images of
> Landsat and extract the pixel values along with latitude and longitutde of
> the image ..Please help  me...

Vijay,

Yes, GDAL will read NLAPS NDF format images, as well
as returning the coordinate system.  The data I have are in
UTM, so you would need to go through a reprojection step
to determine where pixels lie in lat/long.   You can accomplish
this with the OGRCoordinateTransformation as long as you
have PROJ.4 installed on your system (and findable).  I good
test is to run gdalinfo on your file and see if it returns corner
coordinates in UTM *and* lat/long.

You might want to look at the GDALInfoReportCorner()  function
in gdal/apps/gdalinfo.c to see an example of reprojecting pixel/line
locations to lat/long.