[Gdal-dev] NOAA 14 geocoding?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jan 30 22:20:57 EST 2006

On 1/30/06, Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have ordered a coulpe of AVHRR images from CLASS archives
> (http://www.class.noaa.gov) for Northern Italy:
>
> ftp://ftp.class.noaa.gov/A2585871/
> (each image 3-4MB).
>
> To geocode them, I used gdalwarp but the images didn't
> cover Northern Italy after geocoding (they appear East of
> the Caspian Sea):
>
> # apply GCPs with thin plate spline transformer
> gdalwarp -tps -of HFA -t_srs "EPSG:4326" -co COMPRESS=YES \
>   NSS.LHRR.NJ.D99174.S1236.E1248.B2308484.GC.L1261491 \
>   NSS.LHRR.NJ.D99174.S1236.E1248.B2308484.GC.L1261491.img
>
> The resulting images are also almost North-South oriented which
> is unlikely.

Markus,

I have tried one of the images, and the GCPs reported
by GDAL are indeed stretching from Iran to north of the
Caspian.  So, the problem isn't gdalwarp, but rather the
GCP extraction in the AVHRR driver.  I'll leave that for you
to follow up with Andrey since I don't normally deal with
that driver.