[Gdal-dev] need tools for TIF image reprojection

Zhonghai Wang zhonghaiw at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 03:52:54 EDT 2006

Hi Andrew,

you are right, in the most cases the GDAL utilities work well, and I've also
use the GDAL utilities for a long time, especially the FWTools made by
Frank, we should all thank Frank for such a wonderful GIS toolkit.

I've check again and again with the GDALWARP, but things are not going in
the right way. I am trying to translate the TIF images from the coordinate
system CH1903 (Swiss National System) to ETRS89 / UTM ZONE 32N, and there
are always  some displacement with the base maps, I am sure that the base
map and the original coordinate info for the TIF is correct. and here is an
example:

(the transforming process is : CH1903 -> WGS84 -> ETRS89 / UTM ZONE 32N)

the TIF image coordinate Info (*.tif): (Swiss National System)
 0.500000
 0.000000
 0.000000
 -0.500000
 598125.250000
199999.750000

If I transform the coordinate to WGS84 with GDAL, the value is:

0.0000059839
0.0000000000
0.0000000000
-0.0000059839
7.4149523128
46.9529994915

but the lon/lat of the upper left corner should be:

7.41401039348263
46.9510762167473

I would say that this is already big difference, because If I use this
lon/lat to get the UTM coordinate, this small difference will be propagated,
and will cause a displacement about hundreds meters.

I am trying to find the source code, which does this coordinate
transformation, so that I can check if the transformation parameters are
correct, but unfortunately I can not find the source for this.

If someone has done something similar, please point me out how to fix this
problem, especially the GIS people in Switzerland. I would really appreciate
it.

zhonghai