[Gdal-dev] about the geotifcp.exe and tiffset.exe

Zhonghai Wang zhonghaiw at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 05:40:15 EDT 2006

Hi Frank,

I am using your latest version FWTools, and it's helping me do perfect job.
Now I am trying to process my raster tif images with the utilities in the
bin folder.

Since the tiepoint info is written in the file header, I use the command
geotifcp.exe to overwrite the tiepoint information with the option "-e", but
there is one problem here, I use the listgeo command to get the tiff
information, and here is the differences between the source file and the
destination file:

Source file:

  Tagged_Information:
     ModelTiepointTag (2,3):
        0                0                0
        379331.313       5201160.5        0
     ModelPixelScaleTag (1,3):
        0.499941386      0.499941386      0
     End_Of_Tags.

Destination file:

  Tagged_Information:
     ModelTiepointTag (2,3):
        0.5              0.5              0
        379255.02        5200948.64       0
     ModelPixelScaleTag (1,3):
        0.5              0.5              0
   End_Of_Tags.

The worldfile I used for the update:

0.500000000000
0.000000000000
0.000000000000
-0.500000000000
379255.019591209250
5200948.639273808300

Usually, the ModelTiepointTag info should like (in my opinions):

ModelTiepointTag (2,3):
        0              0              0
        379255.02        5200948.64       0

but the destination file gives another information.

after the update, I can not open the updated tif image any more, therefore I
am wondering if the tiepoint info causes this problem.

I found the tiffset.exe information here:

http://www.remotesensing.org/libtiff/man/tiffset.1.html

but there is no such a command in the FWTools. I've tried to compile the
tiff library downloaded from :
http://dl.maptools.org/dl/libtiff/

unfortunately, I did not get it.

is there any other way to modify the tif header? or to force the tif images
to use a existing tfw file?

thanks for any hints to solve the problem.

kind regards

zhonghai