[Gdal-dev] GDAL driver for Magellan topo format

Henrik Johansson henrik at johome.net
Sat Jul 29 07:24:55 EDT 2006

Hi,

About 3 years ago I released a python program that could read and write the
topography data format used by Magellan GPS devices (called BLX). But there
were problem with that code, people has reported artifacts in the decoded
data. Another problem was that since it was written in Python it was very
slow for large data sets.

I recently decided to give it another shot and implemented a GDAL driver for
the format written in C. The new version doesn't have the bug that produced
the artifacts.
Here's a list of what the driver can do so far:
* Read and write BLX files
* The inherent overview levels in the BLX format are supported by the driver
* Geo referencing works (fixed to WGS84)
And what's missing:
* For writes, the projection in the source file should be checked that it's
WGS84
* The progress function is not called as it should in the rasterband read
function
* Probably lot's of other things

If anyone would like to try it out there is a patch to the CVS version of GDAL
that can be downloaded from here
http://rigel.johome.net/blx/blx_gdaldriver.diff .

To build:
./configure --with-blx
make

This is the initial release so it's probably full of nasty bugs so use it with
care.

/Henrik