[Gdal-dev] gdal for ubuntu

Neil Best nbest at speakeasy.net
Thu Jun 8 10:39:54 EDT 2006

Yes, Mateusz, I was referring to the 'debian' directory in GDAL source
tree.  When I tried to build a package for 1.3.1 the dpkg-buildpackage
way I got .debs named with version 1.2.1 or something and had
dependencies that didn't make any sense.  I presume that these
parameters are embedded in the control files somewhere.  The same
procedure under 1.3.2 bombed out in similar fasion as Eric Patton
reported to the list.  Surprisingly I was able to install gdal using
checkinstall. (Yay! Perl bindings!)  This suggests that the debian/
files have fallen out of date.  I will attempt to contact the Debian
package maintainer, Silke Reimer, but other suggestions are certainly
welcome.  I am willing to help move this along, but hearing from someone
with more familiarity with the history of the debian/ files would be
helpful and encouraging.

Neil