[Gdal-dev] ogr2ogr issues for vmap0 on Ubuntu Breezy

Paul Surgeon surgpub at telkomsa.net
Sun Jun 11 18:54:13 EDT 2006

On Sunday 11 June 2006 22:44, Putler, Dan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to convert some vmap0 files to shapefile format (the
> political boundary polygons to be exact) using ogr2ogr on an Ubuntu
> "Breezy" system. I first used the FWTools 1.0.0b2 build of ogr2ogr to
> do this. When doing the conversion, ogr2ogr doesn't complain, but
> only writes out the field names and formats in the dbf along with the
> prj file. The shp and shx file are created, but the don't appear to
> have any actual information in them. Following this, I rebuilt the
> gdal 1.3.1 library with ogdi support, and tried again, with the same
> outcome (on all four vmap0 databases, so I don't think it is a
> corruption issue). My guess is that I'm running into an Ubuntu
> specific issue, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?
>
> On a related note, if someone has copies of the shapefile versions of
> the political boundaries, allowing me to obtain them from you would
> be greatly appreciated (yes, it is giving a man a fish, not teaching
> him to fish, but it solves my short term problem).
>
> Dan

Hi Dan

It sounds like the case sensitive path issue that bit me a while back.
A lot of vmap data was saved with mixed upper and lower case file names and
file extentions.
How I got around it is I placed the vmap0 data in a path without any upper
case letters in it (/home/paul/tmp/vmap0) and ran ogrinfo and ogr2ogr from
there.

If you prepend "strace -eopen" to your ogr commands you'll see where it's
hunting for files and whether it's finding them or not.

In same cases you may have to rename the vmap directories or files. Making
everything lower case is the easiest route.

paul at kubuntu:~/tmp/v0eur$ ogrinfo -so -ro
gltp:/vrf/home/paul/tmp/v0eur/vmaplv0/eurnasia 'polbnda at bnd(*)_area' | grep
"Feature"
Feature Count: 5847

Regards
Paul